Monday 20 May 2013

pricetag

Everything has a price tag, the food we eat, the water we drink, the entertainment we get and the roof that shelters us from the elements. There're certainly things that you definitely cannot put a price tag to. Other than the relationships we have and life, the rest comes with strings. Most of the time, people don't see it until they're in a state of financial independence.

You don't see it until you realise that you actually have to pay for it.

For myself, I guess I'm almost in a state of full financial independence. If I don't have to pay my parents for the amount of money they invested into my education and raising me, I'm largely debt free. Ha ha. As filial children, we definitely have to make due contributions back to our parents when possible.

As of now, I must say, being financially responsible and mostly independent is really tiring and stressful. Suddenly, the world comes down on you, and every cent you spend matters, every dollar you save is worth that little. 

I guess it really is hard for those who're still under the shelters of their parents to envision, but simply put, imagine your parents sold everything except the bare necessities that you need, your clothes, bags and shoes. And they're on this long holiday where until they return, you're supposed to fend for yourself. No, there is no air-conditioned room with a comfy bed and a warm shower waiting for you at the end of the day. There is no free unlimited internet access. You need to call someone? Sure, make sure you've paid your mobile subscription! Your clothing tore? Fix it yourself or pay the tailor. I guess that should paint a better picture for those who've yet to leave the comfort of their caregivers.

Being financially responsible made me realise a few important things:
  1. It's important to plan your spending, savings and investments and put them into action
  2. Mindless debts, credit cards and bills are the last thing that you would want to involve yourself in
  3. Don't just work hard, work smart
  4. Knowledge comes with a pricetag, and is essentially, an investment as well
But that doesn't mean that we have to give up on all our hobbies and happiness. You just have to ensure you plan and factor a reasonable amount into feeding your social life and filling your spirit. Things that you love to do and keep your body and mind in a balanced state.

I really wanna revamp the blog. But the laptop I have is 5 years old, I have no camera, the phone I use is borrowed from. Ha ha, oh well, got to work harder and smarter to get myself these "wants". The only person I can turn to and ask things from is ultimately the man in the mirror now. 

Growing up. Pfft. Hahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment