Wednesday 22 May 2013

relationships

When I was in the unit during my service with the army, my officer commanding made a deduction, he said I was good at getting the ball rolling, but I needed to make an effort to keep it going. And I guess he might have been largely right about that then, I hope I've made improvements since.

If I was the person starting the fire at a barbeque party, I had probably done great, but after I'm done, someone would have to take over while I go set the table or prepare dessert. I have a low attention span, I don't really like to dwell on boring things.

That might explain how I translate certain behaviours into my personal life. I don't text my friends, I don't message them unless I see the need to. It's a chore, and there is nothing personal about it because I don't message all of my friends. I find it a hassle to text, I did rather pick up the phone and dial you a call and have a proper conversation, but it's too expensive. I would rather meet you for coffee and talk about the good times we used to have, but I honestly would really rather we go on a trip or climb a mountain together, to make another memory and discover more about each other.

I like my alone time, I would rather sit at the beach and watch the waves go by. I'm not an introvert. I love meeting new people, making new friends and getting to know each and everyone better. Sometimes I wonder why I'm this way also. I've had friends who come to me asking why I don't call or text them. But perhaps it's because I'm a low maintenance friend and I don't service others as much as well.

Sometimes I conclude that I'm just waiting to invest in the right people. The right one.

But as I would advocate, never build your life on people and things that aren't constant. Build them on the surest things, principals, morals and values. Things that won't go wrong. The centre pole keeping this tent up must not waiver in the face of storms and uncertainty.

Writing the above made me realise a few more things about myself that I didn't know that I didn't know.

Day 2 at my 23rd Mayhem. Boy I'm getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment